The Day that was

There is this Ecuadoran woman who drives me to the station here every day. Very chatty person. We were talking about the countries and she was telling about Ecuador. The crime rates, the complete lack of basic amenities and a lot. She had a sense of fatality about it. It was what it was and so she has to leave the country and have to start fresh in America. It was a little sad hearing her speak all that about her country. She was advising me that if ever I have to go , I've to put all money, jewelry in the safe and go. Told her that I've only one reason to go to Ecuador - Galapagos - and I've decided to go via Costa Rica whenever I do that.
Riverside Church

It is sometimes strange how the destinations you want to go work out by itself. When I started today, I'd no idea where I will end up. I started looking for some interesting place to go and saw that picture of the beautiful church in uptown NY and decided to go.
It was a hot day and took the metro to 116 street. The metro station, which is also the stop for the Columbia university, had a few of the kids with their parents, taking pictures under the Columbia university sign. I wasn't sure whether they are students or just interested. However, it was interesting to see that.
The roads were empty - unlike NYC - and took the walk to the Riverside Church. It was looking beautiful and very Gothic to look at. However, it was closed. So that was a disappointment. I wanted to see what else was nearby.
Ulysses Grant has a way to coming into my plans every now and then and he did so again this time. Just across the church, a little into the path that go into the Riverside park, lies this domed building, unassuming and except for a bunch of people training nearby for the NYC Triathlon tomorrow, the place was deserted.

It was the Ulysses Grant memorial building, the last resting place of Ulysses Grant and his love of his life, Julia Grant. Its strange, how you end up in places you least expected. But it was open only on alternate hours today - for whatever reason. However, it was one of the places I've always wanted to visit and so, I waited outside for it to open.
There is no reason to visit this place, unless you respect the man. It is a beautiful domed structure which houses the tombs, that's it. There is a visitor center outside and that has a book shop and a few other details about Grant's life. He lies there with his wife on the side and busts of five of his lieutenants - Sherman, Sheridian, Thomas, Ord and McPherson - looking at him around the tomb. The flags of the regiments from the home states of Grant  are kept there and it was a very solemn moment to see something from the Civil war.


To me, the visit was to complete the absolute adoration I've for this man, who not only won the Civil war, but also helped in the reconstruction of the country. A rustic person - whom Lincoln esteemed and who in victory showed how magnanimous he can be.

It was a visit that will linger for a while. 

No comments:

கீழடி அருங்காட்சியகம்.

உலகம் முழுவதும் இருக்கும் பல அருங்காட்சியகங்களுக்கு சென்றிருக்கிறேன். நியூ யார்க், கத்தார், துபாய், வாஷிங்டன், லாஸ் ஏஞ்சல்ஸ் போன்ற நகரங்களின...