Astrophysics for People in a Hurry

Astrophysics for People in a HurryAstrophysics for People in a Hurry
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Astrophysics - by any standards is a difficult subject to grasp. But it is not possible for anyone who, at some point contemplating our position in the universe to avoid reading anything about it. It used to be of such fascination to me during school days that I used to buy books like 'QED' - which I cannot even read , let alone understand.

However, it is this difficulty of comprehension that draws me again and again into it. The philosophical implications of reading Astrophysics aside, the challenge to comprehend the science is much more interesting. However, when one picks up a book like this, it is a tacit admittance that we are not gonna be looking at any equations or formula but looking for interesting information to brag.

That said, deGrasse Tyson's book is interesting and has the same tenor and simplicity of language which defined the other great master's - Carl Sagan- books. This, I do not say lightly, because Sagan is like the great teacher to me who through his many books taught me a lot about, not just Astrophysics but about all aspects of science.

This book is not an introduction - but some knowledge of physics is needed and moreover a curiosity to understand universe is a must. However, what I found going through it also is that though it seems like a light-read, it will take a lot of time to read through the host of terms and concepts from theoretical physics that will necessitate, additional reads as well.

That is what I found interesting - I kept looking up on terms and concepts and though it slows down the pace, it is probably the only way to read this book. That does not mean that the book goes over the mind - but just that it is so much interesting when you've a little of the background to relate.

I found the book to be very small - of course, the name is a giveaway - but there are lot of chapters I would've liked to be a little more detailed which would've made it much more interesting. May be he will write one , a little more detailed than this - for people like me who are not in such a hurry.

Overall, I found the book to be very interesting and if you're curious or have a kid who is curious, probably the best book today to get them.


No comments:

கீழடி அருங்காட்சியகம்.

உலகம் முழுவதும் இருக்கும் பல அருங்காட்சியகங்களுக்கு சென்றிருக்கிறேன். நியூ யார்க், கத்தார், துபாய், வாஷிங்டன், லாஸ் ஏஞ்சல்ஸ் போன்ற நகரங்களின...