Around the world and a few taxi rides - 2

So Lyft has a privacy policy. They don't share the driver's phone number or any contact details with the customer. So, as soon as I found out that the bag was missing, I tried reaching the driver and that went to a mail box. Lyft does not have a contact number as well. The only way to reach is through a support mail box. So, I wrote to them asking to share the driver contacts. That when I was told about the privacy policy.

However, they promised to reach the driver and provide an update. Only that the driver could not be reached. He went off grid. I was told to wait for an update. That did not sound good at all.

Now, this went on for 2 days. I sent a reminder mail every other hour and I was told to be patient, wait and that they are actively reaching out to the driver - except that he was not responding.When I asked whether I should be filing a police complaint, I was told to do that and they will share the driver details if subpoenaed. That was no good as well.

Meanwhile I checked with my insurance company - through whom I purchased the trip insurance - and they were ok to process a lost baggage claim but I should be having a police complaint. I may not be able to recover the full value of the lost laptop - but I will get some money at least.

Provo police department has a very helpful online police report tool. Only that there should be no known suspects. I did have a suspect and luckily, I took a screenshot of the booking - which has the plate number of the car the driver was driving. So a direct complaint at the station will be the easier way to recover lost baggage.

However, I didn't want to escalate and basically was hoping that the driver was not a thief. Naive, may be, but it is hard to believe that anyone will knowingly steal. So, though I told the Lyft support that I am filing a complaint, I was willing to wait another day to see if anything happens.

The Amazingly beautiful Provo station with the FrontRunner service to Salt Lake City
So, after three days (and thirty mails) of mental agony - and completely crazy days of orientation in the campus - finally got the message that the driver has dropped off the bag at their hub in Salt Lake City. Given that the next three days were holidays - Labor day - I have to wait another 3 days to pick up the same.
Let's pick up that bag!!
The pick up was uneventful and the formalities taken care of - we got back the bag after 7 days. Overall the support from Lyft sucked big time and I have to keep threatening and bugging them to get any updates at all. They even charged a lost & found fee of $15 when they were unable to contact the driver and reversed it after I made a stink about it. The lesson is that never lose anything in the taxi.

Provo River Parkway

We stayed in a hotel behind which runs the Provo river. As rivers go, the Provo river is not much. It barely wider than a brook and barely qualifies as a river. The water is not even knee deep but the clear water flows with a hum of its own.

 As I found out, what I stumbled upon was the Provo River Parkway trail. Took the time to walk for about a couple of miles one day and was amazed by the beauty of the trail in the middle of that concrete jungle.
The trail is laid out in asphalt for cycling and walking along the river and there are cute little wooden bridges where there is a need to cross the river. Otherwise, the river and the trail runs along even under the highways and behind office buildings and all along the Provo city.
There were signage all along the trail with a little bit of the settlement history of the town of Provo and the Utah Valley area. Here is one important part of the history of the sewage disposal in the town.
 
While walking along, there were a constant stream of people fishing, cycling or running. Sibi and I took a walk along almost everyday and were constantly reminded the state of our rivers as well.
 
SLC - JFK (DL 1202)

For some reason only known to my sub-consious mind, I like Airbus planes more than the Boeing ones.  While I think the 77W is a beautiful one, somehow a A320 or A350 looks prettier. I couldn't say why but it is what it is. 
DL 1202 - Isn't it a beauty?
In US, it is rare to find a Airbus and in this instance as well - it was a 757 for the next leg of the journey to JFK - New York. However, whether it was the clear skies of the west or what, the 757 was looking a beauty as it pulled into the gate.

Delta, probably has the best service in the domestic sector and it was there to see from checkin till the baggage collection. The red-eye to JFK is not a favorite way to fly - the last time I flew this one, it was 2+ hours delayed and the entire flight was a misery during the flight and then for another day when you have to walk around like a zombie. However, it was better this time as the take off happened on time and I just slept through the entire flight to JFK. 

No comments:

கீழடி அருங்காட்சியகம்.

உலகம் முழுவதும் இருக்கும் பல அருங்காட்சியகங்களுக்கு சென்றிருக்கிறேன். நியூ யார்க், கத்தார், துபாய், வாஷிங்டன், லாஸ் ஏஞ்சல்ஸ் போன்ற நகரங்களின...