The Girl with a smile and a Turkey shooter

The Q train runs from the 96th Avenue till the Coney Island. I was waiting for it in the 34th Street - Herald Square station. Four lines were suppose to be running in those tracks and with the weekend schedule and the track maintenance announcements being hazy enough to say whether a train will come in the track I am waiting for, I was watching all the four tracks for the train. There was a guy with a single drum and a bucket asking for change, playing the drum with some indistinguishable music.
 I was waiting to go to Coney Island. I've never been there before - though long back, we've been to some of the other beautiful beaches in New York and Long Island. The day being forecasted to be hot with lots of sunshine, thought it best to go to there. Hence the wait on the tracks.
It took a while - missing a couple of trains meanwhile - for me to realize that I am standing in the Uptown tracks and I have to be in the Brooklyn tracks. The drums guy was looking at me, standing there all the time listening and leaving without so much as a quarter to him.
The Q train, when it arrived, was fully packed. And one look inside, you can tell everyone was going to Coney Island. So, I took a stand in a corner, opened my Kindle to continue with A.Muthulingam. Thats when I noticed that girl.

She must've been barely 18 or 19. She was in a uniform - though I couldn't figure whether it was a store uniform or something else. She had a skateboard and was wearing a shoe which matched exactly the color and design of the skateboard she was carrying. I started thinking which one she would've bought first - the skateboard or the shoe. She had a red Yankee hat on - which looked old and the seams were coming off with long braids of hair. The hat was the only sign that she must not be making enough money to spend on clothes.
She must've felt that I am looking at her. She gave a look and threw me a smile and went back to whatever she was doing. Thats when I noticed that she had bluetooth earphones and must be listening to music. So I was back to my book. It was my turn to feel that she is looking at me. I saw her and another smile and she went back to her music.
I checked my hair and dress to see if there is anything that makes me a little ridiculous to look at. I also thought she may not be smiling at me but be smiling at whatever it is she is hearing. It was then a burly white man came and sat next to her. He must've been squeezing her in that corner seat. She got up quickly with a smile and a exhaustive nod at the insolence of people. And got down at Prospect park.

I was trying to re-construct what her life must've been like when Coney island came into view.
The Turkey Shooter
Coney Island reminded very much of the days we used to go to Santa Monica Pier. Felt very nostalgic to be standing in the boardwalk watching those big rides and all. The beach was looking beautiful with the Atlantic looking a little furious. Waves were breaking in the breakwater structures creating ponds for swimming.

The day being hot - the place was crowded. The iconic Nathan's was crowded with queues running 15-20 deep in every counter. However, since Lunch was the only big activity I planned that day, I had no problem standing there. The food was tasting very normal anyway.
The Steeplechase pier was looking very attractive and so I went there to may be sit around a little and pass some time. As always, there were a bunch of guys with fishing rods, waiting for fishes. I asked one whether he has got anything - and had one fish to show for half a day in the pier.
It was here the Turkey shooter was standing and giving a lecture to 3-4 people standing there listening to his yarns. I joined the group and he was basically talking about the way he came across a bunch of Turkeys when went for the deer hunting. Then he was basically faced with the existential dilemma - whether to shoot the turkeys or to wait for the deer. Whether he shot anything in his life or not, he was explaining why he let the turkeys go and decide to wait for the deer.
I don't remember how but he some how moved to lobster fishing in Maine. He was talking about the different types of Lobsters and how the spiny Lobster with butter tastes better than anything. I told him about the Blue Lobster masala at the Moonrakers in Chennai. He couldn't believe that someone will eat Lobster with curry - told him I couldn't also believe that someone will eat boiled Lobster with butter. We agreed to disagree.
After a few hours of walking around the pier, came back to the station to wait for the Uptown Q train.

No comments:

கீழடி அருங்காட்சியகம்.

உலகம் முழுவதும் இருக்கும் பல அருங்காட்சியகங்களுக்கு சென்றிருக்கிறேன். நியூ யார்க், கத்தார், துபாய், வாஷிங்டன், லாஸ் ஏஞ்சல்ஸ் போன்ற நகரங்களின...